Recommended Text Book
- Georgi, The Physics of Waves (free pdf download here)
- Crawford, Waves (Out of print; free pdf download here)
- French, Vibrations and Waves
- The Feynman Lectures, chaps 21-36, 47-51 (can be viewed here)
Posted below on Thursday of each non-exam week, due on the following Thursday, and returned one week later. Solutions will be posted here.
Each problem set contains a 'Questions and Suggestions' section, from which I hope to gather your feedback about the class. You can ask about things covered or not covered in the lectures; comments and suggestions about the class will be greatly appreciated. I will try to address the questions in class. For the ones that I don't have time to talk about, I encourage you to go to the office hours for discussion.
There will be no mid-term exam, only a final exam. The final exam will be take-home and "limited" open-book.
60% problem sets, 40% final exam.
Recitation and office hour
- Charles Xu, cxu3[at]caltech.edu, Recittion: Annenberg 107, Wed. 2-3pm, Office Hour: Annenberg 2nd floor common area, Wed. 3-4pm
- Jinrui Hou, jinruihou[at]caltech.edu, Recitation + Office Hour: 119 Downs, Tuesday 7-9pm
- Michael Yao, myao[at]caltech.edu, odd homework
- Yuchen (Dawn) Tang, ytang5[at]caltech.edu, even homework
Students will learn about the classical theory of harmonic oscillation and waves, including resonance, normal modes, reflection, interference, diffraction, modulation, polarization, etc.
- Introduction, logistics, outline
- Simple harmonic oscillation: one degree of freedom
- Forced oscillation and resonance
- Normal modes: simple harmonic oscillation of more than one degrees of freedom
- Waves: free and forced oscillation in an infinite system
- Traveling waves, standing waves
- Reflection and transmission
- Modulations, pulses, and wave packets
- Waves in two and three dimensions
- Interference and Diffraction
Lecture Notes and Problem Sets
- Lecture note 10/01/19.
- Lecture note 10/03/19.
- Lecture note 10/08/19.
- Lecture note 10/11/19.
- Lecture note 10/15/19.
- Lecture note 10/17/19.
- Lecture note 10/22/19.
- Lecture note 10/24/19.
- Lecture note 10/29/19.
- Lecture note 10/31/19.
- Lecture note 11/06/19.
- Lecture note 11/07/19.
- Lecture note 11/12/19.
- Lecture note 11/14/19.
- Lecture note 11/19/19.
- Lecture note 11/21/19.
- Lecture note 11/26/19.
- Lecture note 12/03/19.
- Lecture note 12/05/19.
- Homework 10/03/19.
- Homework comment by Jin Ming Koh.
- Homework 10/11/19.
- Homework 10/17/19.
- Homework 10/24/19.
- Homework 10/31/19.
- Homework 11/07/19.
- Homework 11/14/19.
- Homework 11/21/19.
- Homework 12/05/19.