Caltech Early Modern Group in Social Science History
¨ 2016 Program link ¨
Joint Conferences with the All-UC Group in Economic History
¨ Spring 2007
¨ Fall 2010
¨ Spring 2011
Rea A. and Lela G. Axline Professor of Business Economics
California Institute of Technology
Economic History Events
Economic and Social Science at Caltech
Caltech Social Science History Lunch Fall 2013
Meetings at Noon in Baxter 127.
· Thursday October 10 Dan Bogart (UC-Irvine)
“Political Connections and Property Rights in Britain's early Corporations: the Case of the East India Company.”
· Thursday October 24 Jean-Laurent Rosenthal (Caltech)
“What are notaries good for?” (with Phil Hoffman and Gilles Postel-Vinay )
· Thursday October 31 Federico Tadei (Caltech)
" Extractive Institutions and Gains from Trade: Evidence from French Africa".
· Monday, November 4 Bishnu Gupta (Warwick University)
“Unfree Labour: Did Indenture Reduce Labour Supply to Tea Plantations in Assam?” NOTE in Baxter 25.
· Friday, November 8 Jonathan Chapman (Caltech)
“The political economy of Victorian sanitation infrastructure investment 1870-1885".
· Thursday, November 14 Julia Jennings (Caltech)
“Climate variability and human migration in the Netherlands, 1865-1937 (with Clark Gray, UNC-Chapel Hill)
· Friday, November 22 Jared Rubin, Chapman University
“'The Institutional Basis of Political Legitimacy: The Reformation and the Origin of the Modern Economy in England" (with Avner Greif Stanford)
· Thursday December 5 Yifei Huang (Caltech)
“Matters of Imperial Administration.”