A distributed space weather monitoring network
- Ph.D., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 2013
Advisor: Sigrid Close
- M.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 2007
- B.A.Sc., Engineering Science (Aerospace option), University of Toronto, 2005
- Close, S., I. Linscott, N. Lee, T. Johnson, D. Strauss, A. Goel, D. Lauben, R. Srama, A. Mocker, and S. Bugiel (2013), Detection of electromagnetic pulses produced by hypervelocity micro particle impact plasmas, Physics of Plasmas, vol. 20, 092102, 1-8, doi:10.1063/1.4819777.
- Lee, N. and S. Close (2013), Curved pleat folding for smooth wrapping, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 469, 20130152, doi:10.1098/rspa.2013.0152.
- Lee, N., S. Close, A. Goel, D. Lauben, I. Linscott, T. Johnson, D. Strauss, S. Bugiel, A. Mocker, and R. Srama (2013), Theory and experiments characterizing hypervelocity impact plasmas on biased spacecraft materials, Physics of Plasmas, vol. 20, 032901, 1-9, doi:10.1063/1.4794331.
- Lee, N., S. Close, D. Lauben, I. Linscott, A. Goel, T. Johnson, J. Yee, A. Fletcher, R. Srama, S. Bugiel, A. Mocker, P. Colestock, S. Green (2012), Measurements of freely-expanding plasma from hypervelocity impacts, International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 44, pg. 40-49, doi:10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2012.01.002.
- Close, S., P. Colestock, L. Cox, M. Kelley, and N. Lee (2010), Electromagnetic pulses generated by meteoroid impacts on spacecraft, Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 115, A12328, doi:10.1029/2010JA015921.
- Lee, N. and S. Pellegrino (2014), Multi-layered membrane structures with curved creases for smooth packaging and deployment, AIAA Space Structures Conference, National Harbor, Maryland.
- Lee, N., S. Close, and R. Srama (2013), Composition of plasmas formed from debris impacts on spacecraft surfaces, Sixth European Conference on Space Debris, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Houts, S., E. Jens, K. Shish, N. Lee, S. Russell, and P. Kimball (2012), The Stanford Young Astronauts program: A model for sustainable outreach, IAC, Naples, Italy.
- Goel, A., N. Lee, S. Close, D. Lauben, T. Johnson, and I. Linscott (2011), Electrical effects of hypervelocity impacts, IAC, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Close, S., M. Kelley, A. Fletcher, N. Lee, P. Colestock (2011), RF signatures of hypervelocity impacts on spacecraft, 3rd AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Lee, N., S. Close, D. Lauben, I. Linscott, A. Goel, T. Johnson, R. Srama, S. Bugiel, A. Mocker (2011), Study of hypervelocity impact plasma expansion, 3rd AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Johnson, T., I. Linscott, S. Close, D. Strauss, N. Lee, R. Adamo, A. Mocker, R. Srama, and S. Bugiel (2011), Detection and analysis of RF data from hypervelocity impacts, 3rd AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Lee, N., A. Zorn, and M. West (2008), Passive Vertical Stabilization of Two Tethered Nanosatellites with Engineered Damping, AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Maniscalco, M., N. Lee, S. Dektor, N. Salowitz, E. Grote, and R. Twiggs (2007), A Design Concept for a Robotic Lunar Regolith Harvesting System, IEEE ICRA 2007 Space Robotics Workshop, Rome, Italy.
- Lee, N., S. Close, A. Rymer, and A. Mocker (2012), Composition of Plasma Formed from Hypervelocity Dust Impacts, presented at AGU Poster Session, San Francisco, California, December 5.
- Lee, N. and S. Close (2012), Theory and Experiments Characterizing Meteoroid Impact Plasma Dynamics, presented at CEDAR MLT Poster Session, Santa Fe, New Mexico, June 27.
- Lee, N., S. Close, A. Goel, and T. Johnson (2012), Understanding the Electrical Effect of Hypervelocity Impacts on Spacecraft, presented at Stanford Aeronautics and Astronautics Affiliates Poster Session, Stanford, California, April 24, and at Stanford Energy and Environment Affiliates Program Conference, Stanford, California, May 9.
- Lee, N., S. Close, D. Lauben, R. Srama, A. Mocker, S. Bugiel (2011), Characterizing Free Plasma Expansion due to Hypervelocity Dust Impacts, presented at AGU Poster Session, San Francisco, California, December 8.
- Lee, N., S. Close, and M. Kelley (2010), Meteoroid and Energetics Detection for Understanding Space Situational Awareness, presented at CEDAR MLT Poster Session, Boulder, Colorado, June 22.
- Lee, N. and S. Close (2010), Meteoroid and Energetics Detection for Understanding Space Situational Awareness, presented at Stanford Aeronautics and Astronautics Affiliates Poster Session, Stanford, California, April 27.
- Stanford Lunar-X (2008), Voyage to the Moon, presented at the Aeronautics and Astronautics 50th Anniversary Poster Session, Stanford, California, May 8.
- Lee, N. (2007), Effect of Variable Latency on Teleoperation for Space Applications, presented at Stanford AIAA Research Poster Session, Stanford, California, April 23.
- Theory and experiments characterizing hypervelocity impact plasmas: toward weatherproof spacecraft systems, USNC-URSI NRSM student paper competition (1st place), Boulder, CO, January 10, 2013.
- Weatherproof spacecraft: Understanding the space environment and its effect on spacecraft systems, invited talk, JPL, Pasadena, CA, January 4, 2013.
- Theory and experiments characterizing hypervelocity impact plasmas: Toward weatherproof spacecraft systems, invited talk, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, November 28, 2012.
- Hypervelocity impact studies on a nanosatellite, panel session at AIAA SPACE conference, Pasadena, CA, September 13, 2012.
- Understanding spacecraft electrical anomalies: Theory and experiments characterizing hypervelocity impact plasma dynamics (thesis defense), Stanford University, June 8, 2012.
- Understanding spacecraft failures by characterizing hypervelocity impact plasmas, USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting, January 6, 2012.
- Electrical effects of meteoroid and debris impact on spacecraft, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics Industrial Affiliates Meeting, April 26, 2011.
- Microgravity Deployment Test of an MMOD Impact Screen, CubeSat Developers' Workshop, CalPoly, April 20, 2011.
- An introduction to orbital mechanics, Shad Valley Program, McMaster University, July 1, 2009.
- IRIS: Rapid development of a prototype rover, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics Industrial Affiliates Meeting, April 28, 2009.
- Mechanics, Autumn 2009
- Introduction to Control Design Techniques, Autumn 2008
- Spacecraft Design, Autumn 2007, Winter 2008, and Summer 2008
- Space Mechanics, Spring 2008
- Analysis of Structures II, Winter 2007
- Classical Dynamics, Autumn 2006
- Stanford Young Astronauts Program
- Shad Valley McMaster 2009
News and Videos
- Palmer, C., To catch a shooting star, Stanford Magazine, November 2013.
- Ragan, S., The Rockwell Integrated Space Plan (Vector Redux Version), Make, July 6, 2013.
- Ball, P., Better origami using nature and maths, BBC, May 10, 2013.
- Ghose, T., How to pack a big solar sail in a tiny cubesat, NBC News, May 3, 2013.
- Devlin, H., To fold a tent, first fill in your computer algorithm, The Times, May 1, 2013.
- Ghose, T., Paper-folding trick may help tiny satellites use sails in space, Space.com, May 1, 2013.
- Day, C., When dust particles slam into spacecraft, Physics Today, March 11, 2013.
- Keim, B., Could a 21st century USS Enterprise really fly?, WIRED, May 18, 2012.
- Farrell, M., Raytheon system aims to track space trash, Boston Globe, April 30, 2012.
- Vergano, D., Meteoroid impacts may explain some satellite mysteries, USA Today, September 25, 2011.
- David, L., Potentially damaging meteor shower in October highlights risk to spacecraft, Space.com, September 22, 2011.
- Freedman, W., Stanford researchers try to solve satellite mystery, ABC Local News, January 5, 2011.
- Bergeron, L., Stanford students fly in zero gravity to protect satellites from tiny meteoroids, Stanford Report, November 19, 2010.