Ma 2a: Ordinary Differential Equations
Fall 2010, Monday-Wednesday-Friday
10:00-10:55 am, 22 GTS;
Instructor: Matilde Marcolli
This is the "unofficial" web page for the class Ma2aP.
- An official
webpage for Ma2a-pr is maintained by the math department.
Please refer to that page for further information on the class.
- For add cards please see Kristy Aubry in the Math Office
Note: students who happen to have the 8th edition need not worry about it.
Use whatever edition you have, it makes very little difference.
- William E. Boyce, Richard C. DiPrima, "Elementary differential equations and boundary value problems", 9th edition
due Friday Oct 29th.
Instructions for the Midterm
For those interested, PUTNAM Mathematical Competition registration is
open through Tuesday Oct 12. Sign up sheets are in
the Math Office, all Sloan classrooms or contact
Homework assignments will be handed out on Tuesdays and will be
due the following Tuesday at 12 noon (in the box outside room 253 Sloan).
The homework assignments will be posted
here as well as on the course web page maintained by the math department.
- Oct 5: due Tue Oct 12, noon
- Oct 12: due Tue Oct 19, noon
- Oct 19: due Tue Oct 26, noon
- Oct 26: due Nov 2, noon
- Nov 2: # 43 section 5.4 (singularities at infinity), # 13,16 section 5.5 (Laguerre and Bessel equations), # 19 section 5.6 (hypergeometric equation) [Warning: numbering from 9th edition of the book, sections are numbered differently in the 8th Edition]
- Nov 9:
due Nov 16, noon
- Nov 16:
due Nov 23, noon
- no homework handout Nov 24 (Thanksgiving break)
Not everything in the book is covered in class and not all that is covered in class is in the book (it would be deadly boring otherwise, wouldn't it?). Anyway, here are pointers to sections in the book that best correspond to what was done in class so far.
- First week, sections covered in class: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4
- First week, suggested reading (not covered in class): 2.3
- Second and third week, sections covered in class: 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.8, 2.9
- Second and third week, suggested reading (not covered in class): 2.7
- Fourth week, sections covered in class: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.7
- Fourth week, suggested reading (not covered in class): 3.6, 3.8, 3.9
- Fifth week, sections covered in class: 4.1, 4.2, 4.4, 5.1, 5.2
- Fifth week, suggested reading (not covered in class): 4.3
- Sixth week, sections covered in class 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 6.1, 6.2
- Sixth week, suggested reading: 5.7
Suggested readings on ordinary differential equations
These suggested readings are not a requirement for the class, just a suggestion for those who are curious to know more.
- Vladimir I. Arnold, "Ordinary differential equations"
- Vladimir I. Arnold, "Geometrical Methods in the Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations"
- Carmen C. Chicone, "Ordinary Differential Equations with Applications"
back to my home page